In 1981 I bought a home on the coast 200 metres from the beach...

1. 282 Posts.
    In 1981 I bought a home on the coast 200 metres from the beach for which I paid $38,000 & although wages were a fraction of what they are now the worth of my home now is around $800,000, over the years I would have spent around $150,000 renovating & adding, most of which was done by me, owner builder.
    Very few young people could afford to buy in this particular suburb now because to get anything that would be regarded cheap is around $350,000 where you would either have to demolish or spend a fortune making it habitable.
    I don't know about some out there but even when rates were high the loan was still serviceable on award wages, there is no comparison whatsoever.
    For someone to say they CAN'T feel for someone owing $200k on a $400k home loan is either displaying their ignorance or have got what they have with little or no effort.
    Naturally prices differ everywhere & I do not know the prices for everywhere but I couldn't imagine anyone getting anything near a City for under $300,000 which wouldn't include land.
    I'm more than happy to be corrected but I certainly wouldn't call someone buying $400,000 home as being extravegent. It is just sadly now a fact of life that a home is totally out of the reach of many more people as wages have in no way kept up with prices.
    I consider myself very lucky to have lived in the time I have & sincerely feel for the people starting out now, they need our understanding & help NOT ridicule.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.