howes deal-60,000 per member- he is pm, page-5

1. 9,445 Posts.
    Thank you Mr. Howes. Well done for Australia.

BlueScope Steel chief executive Paul O'Malley said he is "personally committed" to the steelmaker staying in Australia, after securing a steel industry assistance package of $300 million to deal with the Government's carbon tax.
    Mr O'Malley told the Mercury the $300 million steel assistance package promised by the Government meant carbon would not be a problem for BlueScope for the next four years.

"It's a pragmatic solution to a complex problem," he said. "I think it materially mitigates our carbon tax liability for the next four years.

"I think I'm satisfied with where we've ended up. I don't think carbon will be an issue with us for the next four years."

About 60 per cent of the $300 million will go to BlueScope, which at 12 million tonnes a year is one of Australia's most intensive emitters.

The package was in part designed to stop steelmakers moving offshore.

Australian Workers Union Port Kembla Branch secretary Andy Gillespie said BlueScope might end up better off than before the carbon package.

"It seems on the surface ... that the steel industry has been taken care of," he said.

"I think they'll end up slightly in front, actually. If they do the calculations right, they will."

South Coast Labour Council secretary Arthur Rorris said the clean technology investment incentives provided a great opportunity for the Illawarra.

He added that it was time for Opposition Leader Tony Abbott to apologise to the people of the Illawarra for scaring them about losing their jobs under the plan.

Member for Throsby Stephen Jones welcomed the steel assistance package.

"I think it's got the balance right between taking credible action on reducing carbon emissions, and at the same time protecting manufacturing jobs and steel industry jobs in particular," he said.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/news/general/bluescope-boss-gives-longterm-commitment-to-australia/2222458.aspx

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.