hubris and spit in jane fonda's face

1. 1,477 Posts.
    Hubris And Spit In Jane Fonda's Face
    by Joe Gandelman

Some things are bound to catch up with you, like your past, and they did recently for actress Jane Fonda in the form of a big wad of tobacco juice spit by a Vietnam war veteran in her face.

What caught up with her: her fervent opposition to the Vietnam War, culminating in a highly publicized trip to Hanoi that Vietnam vets even today consider treasonous. And her belief, even today, that while she's sorry she offended some people going to Hanoi was OK.

Some things are indeed bound to catch up with you, like your past, and they did for Michael Smith, 54, in the form of hatred that festered for so long that he spit the big wad of tobacco juice in a 67-year-old woman's face, then ran away. He most assuredly didn't do that during his days on the battlefield. (He was wrestled to the ground by security guards).

Here are some of the sordid details via the Scotsman of a tale of past and present hatreds coming to a spitty head — literally — in a Kansas City, Mo. bookstore:

Fonda was signing copies of her new memoir, My Life So Far, which describes her notorious 1972 visit to Hanoi where she was photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft tank.

She has since apologized for the incident, which earned her the nickname Hanoi Jane, and has described it as a “two-minute lapse of sanity”.

Smith told the Kansas City Star newspaper that Fonda was a “traitor” who had spat in the faces of war veterans for 37 years.

“I consider it a debt of honor,” he said. “There are a lot of veterans who would love to do what I did.”

Fonda later issued a statement saying: “In spite of the incident, my experience in Kansas City was wonderful and I thank all the warm and supportive people, including so many veterans, who came to welcome me.”

Smith was released on bail and is due in court on May 27.

MSNBC's Monica Crowley notes the depths of the feelings here — partly due to the fact that Fonda is unrepentant:

She now says that her trip to North Vietnam was a large lapse in judgment.

But she doesn't regret the radio broadcasts or taking her opposition to the war to American soldiers in harm's way.

And that's precisely the problem. Jane Fonda has a new book out, and soon, a new movie. Her so-called “apologies,” coming 30 years after the war, now ring hollow and opportunistic. She just doesn't get it: She sided with the enemy. She endangered the lives of American soldiers.

And she betrayed her country.

Which is why a Vietnam Veteran, Michael Smith, spit on her this week in Kansas city. I am not condoning what Mr. Smith did. But I certainly understand the anger that led to his action.

She jeopardized his life and the lives of his buddies. She gave huge propaganda value to the enemy. And she turned her back on her country.

Those who fought for this country have no respect for her, and I can't blame them.

Her half-hearted apology was not a request for forgiveness. And that tells me that her character hasn't changed one bit.

Crowley has clinched it. People who didn't live in that era don't know how Fonda was a highly popular, critically-acclaimed actress, then wound up going to Hanoi, having her picture taken, being quoted blasting the war and virtually rooting for the other side as American soldiers died because of the incompetence of Washington decision makers. Her actions went beyond even the most passionate protests of most students on the turbulent college campuses at that time.

Smith is NOT TO BE CONDONED. In fact, conservatives who are loudly now insisting that dumb university students who have recently thrown pie (and salad dressing) in the faces of leading conservatives should be prosecuted for assault will — we now assume — demand a similarly tough sentence for a man who spat in a woman's face and basically said it was unfinished business.

Fonda SHOULD have taken a page from former President Gerald Ford.

Most people believe Ford wrecked his political career when he pardoned Richard Nixon for the Watergate crimes. But Ford also came under fire when he pardoned draft dodgers.

Fonda could have issued her own pardon on the book tour. She could have moved heaven and earth to ask for an amnesty and pardon on the impact she had on those in the field. Just dismissing her actions lightly was clearly not enough — but time and time again it's proven that Americans are generally forgiving if someone genuinely shows a change of heart or real remorse. The issue was NOT who was right on the war; it was her impact on people in the field and those fighting against them. She could have done every single thing she could to heal the wounds.

But she didn't.

She had hubris. Smith had hubris.

And it all came together in a big, fat wad of tobacco-stinking spit in her face in a Kansas City book store.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.