AUL 0.00% 28.5¢ austar gold limited

Hunt confirms DICE and DRYING for DA/ERF

1. 4,289 Posts.
    This next link is very telling.

Graham Richardson interviews Greg Hunt in regards to Direct Action/Emmission Reduction Fund.

Greg Hunt talks about Vic brown coal in regards to DA/ERF.

He says there are 3 stages to cleaning Vic brown coal through DA/ERF.

1/ Drying -

(IMO only, has to be Mantle's JVA partner Exergen. I can't see it being an ALDP winning project. Exergen MRC has been named over and over by CSIRO as the ideal DICE fuel. DICE is mentioned by Hunt as being part of DA/ERF in this interview)

2/ Gasification -

(GRAHAM RICHARDSON:

And how quickly can that be used? Because, I mean, I didn't know it was developed to the point where tomorrow afternoon we can see those power stations using the technology.

GREG HUNT:

Look, I think the direct injection we're looking at somewhere between 2017 and 2019, so, in other words, the GASIFICATION. That is a huge change over the coming decade in potential emissions from, in particular, Victoria's brown coal power stations, but also black coal stations around the country. It may not fit all of the stations from what I'm advised, but it has huge potential.)

3/ Carbon Capture - Speaks for itself, DICE is very compatible with CC.

http://www.greghunt.com.au/Home/Lat...Program-Interview-with-Graham-Richardson.aspx

Transcript, Sky TV Richo Program, Interview with Graham Richardson
    May 23, 2014

GRAHAM RICHARDSON:
    But brown coal, obviously that's the dirtiest coal, is it not, so how do they actually do it? I mean, I know the intent is there, but how do you actually reduce it, because I'm not aware that there is technology that is going to really help us that much yet.

GREG HUNT:
    Well, there are probably three stages. There's drying gasification and then capture. The drying, there's an enormous amount of work being done on that at the moment. The next one of gasification which can reduce emissions between 30 to 50 per cent - so it is probably the single biggest thing you can do in Australia to reduce emissions is to clean up the brown coal power stations. That work is being done right now.

There's a direct injection - a combustion engine which has German support, which has Australian technology. The CSIRO has been looking at it. We have helped encourage the coal sector to look at investing in this space. That has enormous prospects. And then the third stage is capture where - I don't think it's capture and storage. That is less likely to be successful as time goes on, but capture and re-use for things such as algal energy.

So, in other words, you capture the flue gases. Instead of sending it up you use it as the feedstock for algae. It brews synthetic oil, which is what nature does. It basically eats CO2 and creates oil over, you know, a million years - this can be done within a matter of months. That is an enormous sea change technology. It's going to take some time, but these are the things which actually on a grand scale reduce emissions and which are coming.

GRAHAM RICHARDSON:
    And how quickly can that be used? Because, I mean, I didn't know it was developed to the point where tomorrow afternoon we can see those power stations using the technology.

GREG HUNT:
    Look, I think the direct injection we're looking at somewhere between 2017 and 2019, so, in other words, the gasification. That is a huge change over the coming decade in potential emissions from, in particular, Victoria's brown coal power stations, but also black coal stations around the country. It may not fit all of the stations from what I'm advised, but it has huge potential.

And then the algal energy, I think that's more of a 2020, '21, '22 technology. But these are the things which can radically and dramatically reduce emissions, not just here in Australia but also in China and India and Indonesia, so around the world where the developing countries are consuming more and more coal. And so for the planet it is one of the absolutely central technologies going forward.

All IMO only so as usual DYOR

B Rubes

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AUL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.