or perhaps $billions to relocateTesla's China manufacturing to...

1. 2,633 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 157
    or perhaps $billions to relocateTesla's China manufacturing to the USA?

Don't know where you got that idea Mick, Tesla already manufacture every one of their models (with the exception of RHD M3 & MY) in the USA so there is no need to move anything from China. The Shanghai Gigafactory only produces M3 and MY (in LHD & RHD) but is Teslas largest manufacturing plant and also has the best gross margin due to economies of scale and low labour costs.

If for some strange reason Tesla did move out of China they would face prohibitive import taxes in one of their largest markets so its never going to happen. Even if there was a cold or heaven forbid a hot war between China and the USA I suspect Giga Shanghai would keep operating although it probably would be nationalised.

Although most of Teslas batteries are made in the US by themselves, Panasonic and CATL a significant amount of the raw material does come from China but Tesla produces the greatest proportion of their vehicles by value for the American market in the USA, more than any other ICE or EV manufacturer.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.