I think hydrogen's a fantastic option for Australia to undertake...

1. 3,214 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 951
    I think hydrogen's a fantastic option for Australia to undertake a fresher form of the export of sunlight to the world (than its current ones - coal and gas).

My only concern is that I look at hydrogen vs battery stored electric and hope that people don't get suckered into yet another "we're going to capture the energy and then make you pay to use it" model by Big Energy, via uptake of hydrogen in Oz itself for cars etc, when we've got enough direct sunlight on a regular basis to be able to direct generate the power required to move our cars from solar panels and with the cost of batteries dropping recharge it from them if we need to, rather than a converted source such as hydrogen.

I think with Musk's level of thought leadership on it, its unlikely currently (when the largest by market cap car co in the world is calling your tech "staggerly dumb" and "fool cells" it doesn't bode well https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a32842575/elon-musk-hydrogen-fuel-cells/) but I think for the economic advantages available to them if they can somehow keep the "pay at the pump" monopoly they currently have in place in play, that the energy cos are sure going to try to...

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.