WHC 0.26% $7.65 whitehaven coal limited

I'm showing myself to be very lazy and uninformed here - a few...

1. 173 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 70
    I'm showing myself to be very lazy and uninformed here - a few hours of research could do this for me - but I have a couple of questions that long time holders might be best placed to answer.

For background, I suspect that the coal stocks will overshoot fair value to the downside (if they haven't already) and that the pessimism is ideologically driven - that coal will disappear within a timeframe that would justify the current trend in share prices is obviously wishful thinking. I'd love to ride a rebound like the one we saw from 2016 to 2018, and I imagine that one will come at some stage.

1) Aside from the falling coal price (which I'll maybe incorrectly assume was essentially supply/demand driven), were other factors responsible for WHC hitting 37c in 2015/16? Debt/survival/management concerns?

2) What parallels do you see between those times and now? What is different? Was the environmental anti-coal sentiment at roughly the same level, coming from similar sources? (Maybe it was more activist-centered at that time, but is more mainstream now?)

3) Do you see any fundamental external shifts (price of renewables, or even gas, maybe) that make this time different from last time?

Would love to get some thoughts - I wasn't watching this at all a few years ago, so any insights would be great.

Cheers, and GLTAH.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WHC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.65
Change
0.020(0.26%)
Mkt cap ! $6.399B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.69 $7.71 $7.64 $24.66M 3.217M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
5 22151 $7.64

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.66 12306 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WHC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.