TPM 0.00% $8.93 tpg telecom limited

I concur, page-46

1. 3,154 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 486
    Why would 5G be cheaper than 4G?

As I understand it, they will require transmission sites at least every 300 metres in built up areas. The cost of connecting a 5G transmission box to fibre at every street corner is not small. You will also require fibre is all of these communities, "just for the 5G" -- so why not just run that fibre into homes and achieve speeds faster than 5G can deliver?

How many communities will say "no thanks we don't want to be want to be bombarded with mmWave signals day and night". You think Australia is ready to have 5G transmitters on every 10th power pole? Surely there are going to be legislative hurdles and how much will telcos have to pay to place these 5G transmitters everywhere (whose real estate will they be using?)

Additionally, the amount of data required by users into the future will continue to jump at at astonishing rate. Between December 2016 and December 2017 data transmitted on wireless almost doubled, jumping from around 54,000 TB to 107,000 TB. I think assumptions that 5G will be able handle this continued substantial expansion is a bit optimistic. That's why fixed line FTTP or FTTC is still required in Australia.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TPM (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.