Munch, I don't usually agree with your views however in this...

1. 470 Posts.
    Munch, I don't usually agree with your views however in this case I must concur with your comments on education. Australian governments of both colours have systematically dismantled our education system to the point where the secondary and tertiary sectors are on their knees. They have starved these institutions for funds and forced them, in the case of the universities, to spend much of their manpower in the pursuit of extra dollars (external courses etc) instead of doing what they do best namely research and teaching. I don't need to tell HC members how short sighted this is and how if we fail to invest in the intellectual capital of this country we're doomed.

I've often asked myself how this state of affairs could come about and why the Australian public allows their politicians to do this to them.
    Do they really not care? Are they too wrapped up in their sports and beer to give a damn?

I know how I'd fund more education. Cut defence spending and stop all funding of elite sport.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the screams...

AnnaP

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.