i have cancer, page-4

1. 11,213 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Sorry to hear of the diagnosis Opalcocky and don't know anyone who has been through what has been proposed for your treatment or the kind of cancer you have.

When I was given a diagnosis of cancer in my twenties I sought advice apart from that which the surgeon who had performed the initial biopsy gave. Just went to the medical school at UNSW and knocked on the head of the school's door. His advice was to get a second opinion on the pathology, which he then arranged. Interestingly the second opinion differed from the first pathology - invasive versus insitu, but both agreed it was carcinoma. Perhaps you should follow this advice to ensure the diagnosis is correct.

As evidenced by my experience you will find people in the medical world are mostly empathetic, caring individuals and will be only too pleased to provide information and advice you request. Also consider contacting the Cancer Council who may be able to put you in contact with others who have been through your particular type of proposed surgery, as well as other information.

Apart from the medical world there is plenty you can do to assist your own recovery. Research has shown conclusively that patient's who actively participate in this way have better outcomes than those who are passive in their own recoveries. There are natural foods which have cancer fighting properties. Meditation, freshly made juices, micronutrients such as selenium, spices such as turmeric, exercise, sunlight... People today are so lucky to have the internet for information, make use of it.

Finally my advice is to 'get the thing cut out', whatever it takes. Secondly, get the best surgeon for the job. Surgery is the most effective form of treatment, although you will more than likely be advised to add radiation and or chemotherapy. The latter need far more consideration than the surgery imho as to their value.

Wishing you all the best.

cancer.org.au/about-us/

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.