Covid has been an interesting exercise in human movement and...

1. 80,894 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    Covid has been an interesting exercise in human movement and valuations

I said for years that the way we value property is arse about face --

we valued the home in the middle of Sydney, Melbourne etc far far higher than we valued a home, even really well set up - almost self sufficient in the boon docks - a small fraction of the price of the city pad

yet - security wise ------- the country property is all over a city property

now - even a piss fart little event like Covid - has people deserting cities and rural and regional properties soaring in price

interesting

I'm a poor judge to ask an opinion on - (I can really only go on trends) - because I've never seen the value in a city.

Only very few cities in the world have I felt at all comfort in - with most leaving me in confusion as to why people bother.

by far most of the cities I've liked are smaller - including the one I'm in atm - which is a tiny dot on world standards - between 30 and 40,000.

But, a truly lovely little thing.

I found in large cities - even the ones that I was ok with - I only used a tiny part of them - and, getting to and from those was a pain in the arse.

I might again give Paris a go one day - but, it's not on my 'firm' plans.

If I do, and I do it on some sort of regular basis or for a period of some sort of duration - I now know that a bicycle is very clearly factored into the mix. So much so that I've been considering getting another bike - I discovered just how good bikes are at getting you to places in towns and cities - far better than feet and far better than cars - which are almost useless -
    but, the MTB has some limitations - you can't put it on a bus etc. - but, a folding bike - the entire transport system where I am is bending over backwards to get people to bring their folders onto buses and trains etc..

the combination of public transport and a folding bike - with 'knowing where you are going' opens up entire worlds.

I've found that even in the dot I live in - I can often just about beat a car in going somewhere that's about 5km away or so - the bike has access to where pretty much feet can go and a bike can get to somewhere that about 250 metres away in a straight line by going maybe only 300 metres - where the car - well, perhaps has to go 1 km or more - and, you still get a walk at the end.

even in Paris - you can ride up to a cafe and park the bike right there -- try that one with the car.

It's been quite a revelation

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.