I am joining the cut and paste brigade! I am amazed each time my...

1. 22,698 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    I am joining the cut and paste brigade!

I am amazed each time my real estate agent tells me what someone is willing to pay. What will people be paying me in 10 years time? Yes, i am from QLD (Brisbane)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/life/homesproperty/rents-hit-the-roof-as-shortage-bites/story-e6frequ6-1226233993267

QUEENSLAND rents skyrocketed in 2011, with some areas doubling in price.

According to new figures from RP Data, as expected the most significant rental rises occurred in mining towns - led by Moranbah, with a 113 per cent increase - in the past financial year.

But Brisbane suburbs have also experienced massive price hikes. Inner-city Fortitude Valley house rents rose 112 per cent. Renters in nearby New Farm were slightly better off with a 52 per cent spike.

And unit dwellers weren't exempt. Unit rents in Hendra, in Brisbane's inner north, were up more than 44 per cent.

The rises are putting further pressure on welfare agencies.

Salvation Army spokesman Major Jeff Winterburn said after paying rent and household bills, low-income families struggled to put food on the table.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

Low vacancies squeeze rents

Rising rents not all bad news

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"So they come to us for food assistance and when we talk to them and ask what caused you to not have any food, it's "my rent is due or its gone up $10 a week," he said.

Adam Gray from agency DTZ blamed simple economics - too many people and not enough homes.

"We are not adding much supply but we have added more than 100,000 people in the past 12 months," he said.

North Queensland residents were also struggling to keep a roof over their heads.

House rents in Cardwell were up 38.5 per cent and units in Wongaling Beach were up 36.8 per cent.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.