i love this letter in the oz today

1. 4,271 Posts.
    I AM seriously wondering if our current federal Government has any backbone at all. For they have capitulated to a few mangy, yellow-gutted mongrels in Bali and adopted something no other Australian government has ever allowed: compromising the unique lifestyle and freedom of Australians. The Howard Government, in its actions, including its proposed Anti-Terrorism Bill 2005, aided initially by all but one state and territory government leader, Jon Stanhope, is running scared. And consequently it is alarming many Australians with its ill-conceived schemes. For the past half-century, and more, the world has envied what makes us Australian. The way we walk our country, free from state boundaries, and generally from fear of police interference in our everyday lives. It now appears that a few slimy, miserable cowards are accomplishing that which the whole Japanese army, navy and air force could not. That is, change the principles and lifestyle of this country. I, for one, would rather battle all the Amrozis than have you forfeit one fragment of my freedom. A freedom that, I remind you, thousands of brave Australians died fighting for.
    R. Dean
    Runaway Bay, Qld

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.