FER 0.00% 2.0¢ fermiscan holdings limited

i smell smoke, page-23

1. 72,063 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 139
    Check this out timbo:

Gold Era
    Gold was discovered in a number of areas in north-east Victoria in the mid-1800s, and this largely drove opening it up (especially in remote areas) to permanent settlement.

Alexandra
    Alexandra township was founded on gold. From 1851 to 1868, the district was known as Redgate Diggings.

Thought to be a head frame on one of the mines on the Luckie line of
    reef at Mount Pleasant, perhaps in the 1880s. [From Hans Schonekas.]
    The first gold was won from reef quartz and crusher stampers, with alluvial puddlers from surrounding creeks and valleys to 1879, when returns diminished. Trial shafts and tunnels were everywhere, with anthills of tents and slab huts. The Luckie Mine, from Jan-March 1867, crushed 103 tons for 1731 oz gold (17 oz to ton) and produced 7905 oz for 12 months. Alluvial gold returns were only 310 oz for that period, but increased over quartz from 1870.

Many miners and traders moved from other fields, auguring a prosperous future for the district. Corporate capital from Ballarat and Melbourne brought machinery and employment, and local established farmers joined in partnerships to work mines until 1919.

Source: "Alexandra and District" (2006) by Brian Lloyd.

Yea

Alexander Dunlop, woodcutter and bridge builder, and wife Sarah (nee
    Makeham) at Johnsons Creek 1903. Their house is built behind a tree.
    Yea Township (first name Muddy Creek) was a service stop on the route to other mining areas of the Upper Goulburn to Woods Point. Small mines were in operation from 1868 at Ghin Ghin on the Goulburn River but never approached the figures of the Alexandra District.

Source: "Alexandra and District" (2006) by Brian Lloyd.

Alluvial and quartz mining operated from 1859, at Tea Tree Creek (Welcome Mine) and Muddy River (Providence) near Yea, the latter yielding up to 10 oz per ton. In 1886 new discoveries at Newchum Creek and at Ghin Ghin (Welcome Company) were worked by Ah Mouy Chinese tributors to 1884. Small prospecting and development was continued to 1906, but with poor results due to 'heavy' water and lack of crushers.

Source: "Thorley's Gold Mining Sites" by A.Thorley

Strath & Reedy Creeks
    Mining took place in both these creeks in the 1850's, which caused little interest until some years later when large alluvial mines were opened at Reedy Creek. The Balmer and North Balmer mines at Reedy Creek produced a large amount of gold, along with a few smaller mines. It was all over by 1900. The two creeks are situated between the towns of Broadford and Strath Creek. Other mining in the area was at Sunday Creek near Broadford, Clonbinane and Goldie, which is west of Kilmore. Small finds occurred at Flowerdale, Kinglake and Pheasant Creek, but all faded after a short time.

Source: "Thorley's Gold Mining Sites" by A.Thorley

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FER (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.