I thought the Perth area was doing well, page-147

1. 10,790 Posts.
    I had 7 acres near Bullsbrook right on the edge of the escarpment, 5 acres on top and 2 acres down the 45deg slope. I had the house built 12m back from the edge facing SW and at 184m you could see the lights of Perth and even the Rottnest lighthouse over 60km away in the right conditions[inversion?].

I thought the sea breeze would be fearsome but it shot over the top of the house, although at the top edge you could lean into the wind at times. The easterlies were awe inspiring at night as they were drawn down over the edge and with verandas all the way around at times I could feel vibrations through the concrete slab. Luckily it was built just after they brought in regulations that the roof had to be tied down to the walls[double brick] rather than resting on top and I made them do all the veranda post footings again, huge, instead of resting on a few bricks with some dirt on top!

Ducted evaporative cooling worked great 90% of the time but failed when the sea breeze came with it's humidity but missed the house, so I looked forward to the easterly to clear the air.

Interestingly my rainfall was a consistent 20% higher than 4km away at Pearce where it was measured down on the plain, so that lift had benefits.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.