I have lived with tribal Aboriginals, my first wife was a Torres...

1. 6,580 Posts.
    I have lived with tribal Aboriginals, my first wife was a Torres Strait Islander, and I lived on T.I. for a time. I raised my son who straddles two worlds on my own for the most part. I have worked in areas of reconciliation and have aboriginal friends who are as close to me as blood relatives. I voted NO.

I also have read the entire Statement from the Heart and I have not met a single person who has read it, or even the highly edited for effect, summarised first page of it. Even Albanese has not read it.

EddieBo, too much emotion and no substance, I'm afraid. I saw a lot of this from the YES-ers. I appreciate you mean well. Sure, most descent people want better outcomes for Aboriginals, as do I, but they would not have found it in a Voice to parliament. If you want something to fail, just let politicians get their hands on it. And really, anybody who voted NO was racist, uninformed, or ignorant, dumb or racist, to quote your opinion of me.

If you would really like to help Aboriginal people I could put you in touch with those who would be grateful for your hands-on assistance, rather than lip-service.

Let me tell you, everywhere in this country I worked with Aboriginal peoples I found that they did not have much respect for anybody from other tribal groups. When an Aboriginal employment opportunity arose in some place it was always one tribe excluding the other tribes. I've been in many gatherings where the tribes would not even break bread with each other.

So who speaks for all these tribes that have no unified vision of Aboriginally. I'll tell you, the more white than black Aboriginals who make a staggeringly good living from all this.

With respect, the YES vote would have just established another failed bureaucratic body to pour money into that should go to the people who really need it.

I could say so much more, but I have already overindulged on a site set aside for humour.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.