illegal immigrants in northam, page-29

1. 942 Posts.
    Re: "the solution might be, to make a separate country, in the middle of australia (maybe 10,000 sq km - in the middle somewhere)"
    ------------------
    Hi FillipR,

I agree that we should make it impossible for people smugglers to benefit from risking human lives... something this Labor government has failed spectacularly at doing.

I also agree that we should take a reasonable and planned number of refugees every year, as we should be compassionate and we DO have the ability to help some.

I'm not sure I agree with you statement above, though - I don't want a ghetto of refugees (even if it is in the desert). The idea above is a rejection of the refugees as peoplt (some of whom we reasonably should accept).

There is a reason that Australia is the "Lucky country" and one of those reasons is that (generally) we haven't formed ghettos (where we have - like "the block" in Redfern - it has failed spectacularly.) A requirement of living here should be an acceptance of our culture - including tolerance to all (therefore - I'm going to use a VERY dirty word - I think it's reasonable they ASSIMILATE to some extent). There is no reason why, if someone wants to live here, we can't expect that they will want to live with us and adopt some of our attitudes.

For those that entirely reject our culture... if they reject us, why should we accept them?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.