illegal parking is a joke, page-24

1. 11,316 Posts.
    Luckily he rolled into another car so they got him out.
    Later found his exhaust had been taped up.
    It was a holden combo, quite new.

Hi Omorrisey,

Bit of header topic, but, exhaust being taped up as in to stop leaking exhaust from crack/join in pipe is different from blocking tail pipe.

It was a holden combo, quite new.

This is a bit of concern, as a near new car should not have exhaust leaks, as your friend found out, health issue.

When you block tail pipe up on a completely sealed exhaust system, the motor will not run .

When you block tail pipe up on a leaky system, it may still just run with no power to drive away, depending on how big the leak is, but I would imagine you would hear the exhausting gases.

I had a single cylinder diesel in my yacht with a almost blocked exhaust.It would idle, but when trying to bring revs up impossible, it was pushing black exhaust gases out threw inlet manifold in desperation to get rid of exhaust gases then sucking it back down again, so no oxygen.

Where the water meet the exhaust gases in the water cooled manifold, it over years turned into solid carbon, blocking the pipe except for a hole the thickness of a pencil, hence it would run on idle, but would not rev up.

A health exhaust system blocked by a rag,or accidentally reversing into a clay bank on side of road with exhaust pipe will kill motor quickly.

Sorry bit long winded,

retired panel beater,

sypaladin

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.