The last time I looked there are currently about 200,000...

1. 14,237 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 5
    The last time I looked there are currently about 200,000 arrivals per year.
    At the same time about 30,000 leave meaning a net inflow of 170,000.

I think a lot of those would have skills because we have programs set up to attract such people.
    On the other hand they may include quite a few families with kids of school age.

One thing i noted recently is that Melbourne is growing at such a pace that it may well overtake Sydney in the coming years.
    Consequently lots of money will need to be spent on infrastructure to avoid too much congestion.
    Schools will need to be enlarged to cope.
    That will require jobs to cope with the growth.

I think the Government policy is for a big Australia.

Anecdotally I have come across some recent arrivals.
    Husband a policeman, wife a personal assistant in an office, two kids at school.
    The guy who came and replaced a leaking component on my gas meter last week was a fairly recent arrival, (No need to spend money on training him).
    Near where I live there is a newer suburb that seems to attract new arrivals.
    They are spending money at Harvey Normans.

Also i think there are jobs out there if you are prepared to move.
    Another anecdote.
    I have my youngest daughter just finishing uni.
    She has been working part time for the last few years in an unskilled position whilst studying.
    Monday she started her first full time skilled job acquired through an unpaid internship that she undertook as part of her studies.

So she gave notice to her part time employer which means another unskilled vacancy for someone.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.