My daughter recently gave me "Sunday Roasts" (a years worth of...

1. 37,333 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 406

My daughter recently gave me "Sunday Roasts" (a years worth of mouthwatering roasts) for a birthday present.

Picked it up this afternoon for a flick through ... I'm hooked ... its loaded with interesting things I'd never have thought of.

Tonight was "Pork loin with blue cheese stuffing and roasted pears".

Stuffing was a cup of bread brumbs, 2 tablespoons each of chopped rosemary and sage, salt and pepper and 100g of blue cheese ... all rubbed to a crumble consistency and then moistened with 3 tablespoons of chicken stock.

Butcher boned a 900g pork loin for me (so no tying fatty rolls etc) ... I pushed a knife end to end through the loin and cut a 3-4cm slot sideways and vertically and then pushed in the stuffing to within 1cm of each end.

Glazed the stuffed loin with olive oil and coated with some more chopped rosemary and sage and a little salt and then browned for 6-8 mins in flame proof pan, turning frequently ... then removed to roasting dish.

I used 3 bosc pears, skin on, quartered, decored and coated in a glaze of 2 tbs olive oil and the same again of balsamic vinegar, first wisked.

Sides were roasted, lightly honey glazed parsnips and carrots ... with plain roasted pumkin and steamed broccoli (with a little lemon juice squeezed over).

When roasting at 200 deg first the seared loin by itself for 10 mins, then turn and add the pears skin side up to the dish for another 10 mins, turn the loin again and a final 15-20 mins (I took the pears out for the last 6-8 mins) ... remove and stand.

Gravy was unusual ... no flour ... add 200ml of chicken stock to the pan used to sear the loin with a tbs of vinegar ... when stirred and hot, add to the roasting dish after first draining visible oil ... keep stirring to dissolve in all the darked roasted juices and then add a tbs of butter and keep stirring until reduced and somewhat thickened.

Carved the pork loin in 1-1.5cm slices and poured the light gravy over it on the serving dish.

Mrs Dex and visiting youngest son reckon I've never plated better! Pssst, I'm not doing the dishes 8))

Dex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.