BBN 0.56% $1.79 baby bunting group limited

Impact of Amazon, page-2

1. 541 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 55
    I held early, and sold out a while ago but I keep an eye on BBN because it's a company my wife understands and so she doesn't feel like I'm gambling with our money - so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

My guess would be that the margins BBN make on products like cots, car seats and prams would be superior to those they make on the bulk items. When Coles or WOW have nappies on special, they are generally about the same price as what BBN have them at every day, and this doesn't seem to strike fear into the hearts of SHH. Cots and prams particularly are products that consumers want to 'touch and feel', so unless Amazon are able to offer far superior prices than BBN, then BBN will retain the sale - their scale allows them to compete with prices from anywhere else in the world (trust me, I tried my best to beat the ~$2k BBN quoted for a pram plus all accessories, even going to the extent of calling logistics companies overseas directly!) so I don't think that is an immediate concern.

Also, it's probably worth noting that BBN's reputation in the market means that any new supplier, from Australia or otherwise, is desperate to be ranged by them.

Amazon is going to cause significant pain for the lower price retailers (imo), but I reckon that retailers who sell quality goods at competitive prices will still be ok, especially when those products are not typically purchased 'sight unseen'.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BBN (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.