MNS 0.00% 4.2¢ magnis energy technologies ltd

In talks with Volkswagen, Siemens, page-111

1. 1,971 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 187
    Given some of the information you’ve posted over the last few days (great research btw) it’s difficult to see how Magnis can compete.

I’ve always said by the time they’re in meaningful production (a decade from now maybe?) competition will be the least of their worries. Scale is a big issue when it comes to pricing. Going from 0 to 100gw is one thing, but gradually building from 1, 3, 15 etc makes it hard to keep pricing to the point where it’s attractive. You need the higher margins to grow.

If sroyle is correct in saying that Magnis’ production goal is to manufacture under $200, while the rest of the party is already at $125, it’s little wonder they’ve only signed up off takes for 1gw so far. It’s a race to the bottom in pricing I guess.

Why are expensive cobalt prices constantly touted as an issue here when these companies are already able to produce batteries with cobalt so cheaply? Is this a case where eliminating cobalt will actually make the end product more expensive (therefore it’s a fruitless exercise)?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MNS (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.