Hi Sierra, you guys are having a very interesting back and forth...

1. 475 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    Hi Sierra, you guys are having a very interesting back and forth posting on a subject I am not as well versed in (technically) but nonetheless have a keen interest in.

I did just have a question for you both which would help me.

This comment about renewables being cheaper without subsidies now I feel gets thrown around a lot, and needs to be broken down a bit....

So my question is ... Does this principle apply in equal measure to both solar renewables and wind renewables ?

To expand a bit, what I can fully appreciate is that solar PV is undergoing a cost revolution around the world and is a product most suited to mass fabrication, and distribution. Add to that the fact that installation is largely a one-off OH& S event if you will, meaning that it is basically "set and forget" - i.e. can sit up on your roof for years generating power with little or no maintenance cost - apart from some simple management of your inverter and ground level electrics and (later as more take up occurs), battery storage.

In fact, I believe that the rapid spread of solar PV is due to the lowering cost phenomenon and the simple design/installation logistics in fairly equal measure, plus it is a product that most of us can easily understand.

So, with wind, I am confused. Small wind turbines are IMO largely irrelevant to the conversation as they need to be set up in areas that are in constant wind flow (so rural + high hill position or high pole). Either way, they are fringe only not suited to urban centres due to too much interference from surrounding structures etc. etc. So let's forget those.

Big wind turbines (off-shore or close to coastal) are (to-date) the only viable renewable generation source for wind, and they are being taken up at a substantial pace around the world.

BUT, how are on earth can they be lumped together with solar PV as "cheaper without subsidies" ?

Firstly, you need to consume a massive amount of steel and electricity to produce them (high embodied energy) way more than factory manufactured solar panels, and then you have the cost of erecting them and maintaining them (certainly not set and forget).

In fact I read somewhere (from a neutral source) that of the lifetime cost (25 years ?) of an offshore wind turbine, 75 % was in ongoing maintenance and management due to their remote location, cost of shipping access, inclement weather restricting access etc.

Anyway, if you could comment on this from your own knowledge, I would appreciate it greatly. Cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.