Doesn't matter if it's the perfect set up, never trade if...

1. 13,762 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 270
    Doesn't matter if it's the perfect set up, never trade if there's emotions. I could explain why, but 99.999% of people here wouldn't understand what I'm talking about. The best traders in the world will tell you that emotional regulation is the single most important factor in trading. More important than all these hours of technical analysis I do per day. You need both, but emotional regulation is more important.

To that end, traders should constantly monitor how they feel, and if anything arises, treat it and come back when it's gone. If it's something that's really triggers you badly, then be prepared to walk away for the session if needed. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to see how quickly I can get rid of this feeling and return to baseline. I have a few hours up my sleeve, so will do some meditation and see how I go.

Once you're in a good enough frame of mind, you don't have to do anything to maintain it. Having said that, the more bouyant, the better. It's mostly about recognizing if or when your baseline changes. Taking a loss can cause problems (depends on the size - small loss is no problem). Missing a trade can cause it (though personally it doesn't bother me much). And then of course anything related to work, relationships, family etc.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.