Banjar,As I said:"A company feels it is better to settle with...

1. 1,477 Posts.
    Banjar,

As I said:
    "A company feels it is better to settle with thieves, and thieves in government offices for that matter who can be directed to obey the law, rather than go through the legal process?"

I have spent many years overseas in a variety of countries. Whenever there was any problem buying the legal software locally, or buying the English language version, or I did not like the local price, I would simply order it via a US website and it would arrive within a few days.

There was never any difficulty, and even in the cases where they suggested I go through a local supplier for their own contractual reasons, all that was necessary was to sent first to a US address and then have it sent on. Of course I never really tried to procure anything that had some trouble with overseas shipment or there was a problem with US regulations about export of technology, not worth the risk. In those cases you might have some trouble, but not in most other cases.

A company has the right to decide completely what price their product will be priced in each market. If they feel that they should price it more expensivley or cheaper than another market, they have a complete right to do that also.

Of course, provided that consumers do not contravene any laws, they have a complete right to order and purchase the software from anywhere in the world they wish to.

In Indonesia, the issue seems to me to a government condoned lawlessness.

Microsoft is very adept at the legal process and has the financial resources to fight any order of legal battle anywhere in the world.
    WHat does it say about the legal rights of any other company to expect a legal protection for their property in Indonesia if Mircrosoft decides it is not worth the fight in Indonesia.

It is especially significant that they settle for US$1 per copy. This is just a token amount and only goes to illustrate the hopelessness of any legal procedure in Indonesia.
    If the settlement amount had been some percentage of the sales price, it would have indicated some possibility for the legal process.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.