Indonesian Aid, page-87

1. 7 Posts.
    I subscribe to a daily market news letter from Fat Prophets. They are also fund managers.
    The following is what the Fat Prophets' owner and author of the news letter had to say about the Indonesian situation. Of particular note is the decision to close their Jakarta office and urging of fellow Australian's to boycott.

Good morning,
    The Australian film Breaker Morant was about the unjustified execution of two soldiers who were killed by the British Government for largely political reasons. The current situation in Indonesia reminds me of what happened more than 100 years ago to the enlisted serviceman “Breaker Morant”. In front of the firing squad and seconds before a volley of shots were fired, he infamously yelled out “shoot straight you bastards”.
    Clearly the two Australians about to be executed, Chan and Sukumaran, were convicted of a bad crime of drug smuggling heroin (to Australia). And the Australian Federal Police assisted greatly in passing information which led to the arrests. But despite this, and despite the fact that the drugs, if they had hit Australia’s shores, would have caused untold damage and ruin to lives…. something is just not right.
    I still feel sick to the stomach that the Indonesian Government has not taken into account Sukumaran and Chan’s actions towards redemption over the past ten years since they were imprisoned. The Indonesian Government is going to administer capital punishment to two utterly stupid individuals that have acknowledged the mistakes of the past and yet have made serious attempts at reformation. The deaths will change absolutely nothing as it relates to the drug trade in Australia and Indonesia. Spared lives however could make a difference. This fact is completely lost on a callous and ignorant Government.
    I have visited Indonesia on many occasions over the past twenty years, but in the wake of these pending executions, Indonesia as a country leaves me totally cold. Not only will I never visit the country again, I will never spend one cent or invest one dollar in a country that sanctions capital punishment in such a callous and ignorant fashion, not to mention doling out punishments with a corrupt and biased legal system. We have also closed our office in Jakarta, a decision we have not made lightly.
    I will not be back to your shores Indonesia.
    And I hope that most of Australia joins me in this boycott. Like many Australians, I gave plenty to Indonesia when the hat went around after the Tsunami, but in the wake of these Government-administered atrocities, I am disinclined to give them one cent - ever again. I sincerely hope our tax payers’ resources are immediately redirected.
    The Indonesian President has lost out on this one, and in failing to let a few men live that have shown genuine remorse and spent years reforming, he will no doubt cause untold economic damage as a fallout from his decision. Who in their right mind would want to visit a country and do business with such a vindictive political regime?

Angus Geddes
    Last edited by Ashski: 05/03/15

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.