Offset of course by wanting to increase SGC to 12%, which is a...

1. 791 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Offset of course by wanting to increase SGC to 12%, which is a necessary step forward for many people that will have inadequate retirement savings, but the ruse of needing to pass the Mining Tax for it to happen, forgets about the Employers that have to stump up the cash. Yes, they get a tax deduction for it (Employers) but it takes cash away from other expenses and serves to further line the pockets of the Industry Funds (and other super funds too, of course).

Here's my thinking: The ALP wanted to reduce the Contribution Limits to stop "all those rich people" getting away with saving tax by salary sacrificing to super i.e. earning over $180k, you go from 46.5% to 15% tax by sal sac.. The question I ask which part of your income are you sacrificing? Is it the last / highest income (taxed at your MTR), or is it the first part - thats taxed at 15%? In which case,everyone gets the same tax saving by salary sacrificing, unless it's over (about) $29k pa.

Just a different way to look at things.

PS: The proposal to allow you to concessionally contribute up to $50k if you have under $500k in super is a disaster waiting to happen in my thinking. Very, very hard to police / control / administer, with all of us paying the cost.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.