COF 1.34% $1.11 centuria office reit

Inflation target to harm commercial values

1. 3,722 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 100
    Could someone explain why the RBA have virtually stated they're hellbent on keeping inflation "between 2 and 3 percent"?

I understand that deflation (i.e. negative inflation as distinct from falling inflation) is harmful to the economy. I also understand that persistently high inflation is damaging (note to Albo; note to "Sally with her Silly" wages push).

But isn't rigidly sticking to a narrow range, set at a time when the economic and geopolitical landscape were much different, potentially dangerous under current and foreseeable conditions? Or is it an iron Law of Economics - God's Eleventh Commandment if you like - that Thou Shan't Ever Changeth Thy Inflation Target?

Given we're heading towards anywhere between 7% and 10% inflation, wouldn't it be better to state a more accommodating target in the short term, say 4% to 5%, and wean it back to the preferred range over the medium term, lest we unnecessarily plunge the country into recession through relatively large interest rate rises off an extremely small base?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add COF (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.11
Change
-0.015(1.34%)
Mkt cap ! $660.0M
Open High Low Value Volume
$1.13 $1.14 $1.10 $1.658M 1.493M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 1668 $1.11

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.12 17162 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
COF (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.