CAZ 9.52% 2.3¢ cazaly resources limited

re: the submission process CAZALYRESOURCESLIMITED [CAZ]RIO TINTO...

1. 9,382 Posts.
    re: the submission process CAZALY
    RESOURCES
    LIMITED [CAZ]
    RIO TINTO PLC

Iron Ore News
    RelatedStory
    A rare case – Rio
    vs. Cazaly
    Cazaly scopes
    Shovelanna
    Investec backs
    Cazaly

Monday, November 14, 2005
    WHAT the Minister giveth, the Minister can also taketh away.
    With apologies to readers with a religious leaning this is how
    Dryblower sees the immediate future for Rio Tinto in its
    dealings with the Western Australian Government.
    On one hand, State Development Minister, Alan Carpenter, is widely tipped to soon
    grant Rio Tinto a reduced royalty rate on diamonds mined at the Argyle project, a key
    step in Rio Tinto committing to a major underground development at Australia's only
    big diamond mine.
    On the other hand, the Minister is looking very likely to take away Rio Tinto's rights
    to the hotly disputed Shovelanna iron ore tenement.
    The first decision, which has been more than a year in coming, is the result of
    government learning that every mine, no matter how big or small, must stand on its
    own financial feet – even if the parent company is making obscene profits elsewhere.
    In Rio Tinto's case the big profits are flowing from its iron ore mines, with more
    tipped next year as haggling heats up over the possibility of yet another increase in
    the price of iron ore.
    Diamonds are a different story. Argyle's days as an openpit are numbered, and the
    company has been arguing that a 7.5% royalty is far too high for the underground
    phase of the mine.
    One of Rio Tinto's arguments is that the royalty on gold is only 2.5%, and it should
    be around that level for diamonds. Dryblower thinks that might be a step too far and
    can see a compromise being worked out with an underground diamond royalty of
    around 5%.
    As a sideline issue it will be interesting to see what happens to Kimberley Diamond
    which is running a series of small openpits at the Ellendale mine – will it get the same
    reduced diamond royalty likely to be applied to an underground mine?
    The smart money says yes to the Kimberley question because diamonds are
    diamonds, and apart from that who wants to spend the next five years in a legal
    battle with Kimberley chief executive, and legal eagle, Miles Kennedy.
    Once the diamond decision is made, perhaps as early as tomorrow, the question on
    Minister Carpenter's desk becomes iron ore – and whether or not he will grant
    dispensation to Rio Tinto, which appears to have botched the paperwork on the
    Shovelanna deposit.
    Dryblower's tip here is that Rio Tinto is headed for a loss, for several reasons.
    Firstly, because Rio Tinto has been sitting on Shovelanna for at least 16 years and
    done little in the way of exploration and/or development, which flies in the face of the
    use it, or lose it principals of WA mining law.
    Secondly, because Rio Tinto has been somewhat of a repeat offender when it comes
    to renewing the Shovelanna tenement.
    Thirdly, because Cazaly Resources is doing a damned fine job in demonstrating that
    it's serious about mining Shovelanna – and that's what mining law is all about.
    The release on Friday by Cazaly of a scoping study was probably the last straw for Rio
    Tinto because Minister Carpenter now has a clear-cut case of a tenement not being
    renewed in time, an allegation of money not being spent on the claim, and a
    development proposal from a rival applicant.
    Apart part from all that, and despite the two cases being totally separate, it is human
    nature that Carpenter will be thinking that after granting a lower Argyle royalty he
    can't give Rio Tinto everything it wants.

And, if that's not enough it should never be forgotten that Carpenter comes from a
    political party which views Rio Tinto as a class enemy, and what an excellent
    opportunity to give it a small blood nose – just for the one-off thrill in demonstrating
    who's boss.

" I can't find the article which claims that Carpenter and the Rio MD were on christmas holidays together"

Anyway thats a recap... sorry about the old articles..

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CAZ (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
2.3¢
Change
0.002(9.52%)
Mkt cap ! $10.60M
Open High Low Value Volume
2.0¢ 2.4¢ 2.0¢ $321.3K 14.66M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 331772 2.2¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
2.3¢ 150979 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.49pm 19/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CAZ (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.