I wonder what would be the reaction of some of the more venomous...

1. 406 Posts.
    I wonder what would be the reaction of some of the more venomous anti jewish / Israeli posters on this forum. Here is a testament as to why Israel is so important in the big scheme of things from a historical aspect to the well being and the survival of the Jewish people .

Nuremberg papers expose Nazi monsters' lack of remorse
    Sarah Baxter, New York
    October 18, 2004
    THE private papers of a US army psychiatrist who interviewed leading Nazis at the Nuremberg trials have been published after lying forgotten for half a century.

Leon Goldensohn joined a three-man team responsible for the prisoners' mental health in 1946 and met Hitler's No2, Hermann Goering, , Fritz Sauckel, who ran the slave labour program, and Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Hoss. As a psychiatrist, his technique was to let the defendants talk, often without challenging their assumptions.

He took handwritten notes of their conversations, which he kept in his home in New Jersey until his death in 1961.

The papers reveal the depths of the self-deception practised by the Nazis, who tried to impress Goldensohn with claims that some of their best friends were Jews and that they, personally, did not carry out the killings.

Goering kept up his swagger in prison, boasting to Goldensohn about his "quite excellent" sex life and complaining that some of the defendants were not fit to be on the stand with him.

"Why don't they let me take the blame and dismiss these little fellows. I never heard of most of them till I came to the prison."

On the Holocaust, he tut-tutted that mass murder was against his "chivalric code".

He said: "I revere women and I think it unsportsmanlike to kill children. That is the main thing that bothers me about the extermination of the Jews."

He blamed his derisive laughter in court when atrocities against the Jews were mentioned on "my own psychological reaction . . . to laugh or smile in the face of adversity".

But he added: "If the killing of the Jews meant anything, such as that it meant the winning of the war, I would not be too bothered by it.

"But it . . . did nobody any good whatever except to give Germany a bad name."

Hoss, who admitted that 2.5 million Jews were murdered at Auschwitz during his four years as commandant, told Goldensohn in injured tones: "I don't know what you mean about being upset about these things because I didn't personally murder anybody. I was just the director of the extermination program in Auschwitz."

After Goldensohn's death, his widow sold some of his papers and bequeathed the rest to her children.

They were passed on two years ago to Robert Gellately, a historian of the Nazis based at Florida State University, and have just been published under the title The Nuremberg Interviews.

The Sunday Times

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.