insulation has made my house hotter, page-29

1. 20,020 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 870
    I am getting an investment property insulated in Brisbane and it is surprising that most quotes I have seen for insulation in Queensland are for foil type insulation which 'apparently' allows rapid cooling at night in summer. I had another place in Qld done with foil a number of years ago and while I have never lived there I understand there was an improvement.

Anyway, it was an eye opener for me that reflective foil type insulation (e.g. Silver Batts is the product I am planning to use for property 1 above) seems to be prevalent in Queensland whereas here in Melbourne it is mostly polyester or fibreglass batt type materials, due to the cooler climate no doubt. I just had my place in Melbourne done using Earthwool batts. No one suggested any type of reflective insulation to me when I was getting the quotes. It seems to depend on the type of climate.

Also, I suggest you do your research on whirly-birds before you get one installed. Last time I considered getting one installed in Qld (2nd property above) I looked on the web and there was a lot of controversy over whether they are effective or not, so I passed. I also spoke to a friend of mine who is a building sustainability consultant and she said they were more or less ineffective. This doesn't mean they don't have certain applications in hot climates but I strongly suggest you do plenty of research before installing one.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.