MLX 3.33% 43.5¢ metals x limited

Sure Gkp, here's a snippet. But perhaps you should try getting a...

1. 2,345 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 39
    Sure Gkp, here's a snippet. But perhaps you should try getting a trial
    The wonderful thing about tin is that it has absolutely no glamour so tin shares are available at relatively low prices. Australia’s biggest tin producer is Metals X Limited (MLX). Metals X owns half of the famous Renison Bell tin operation. When I was a boy my father was a great investor in Mount Lyell, and we would go to Queenstown and look at the mine. Not far away was the emerging star – the Renison tin mine. Renison is still producing tin and looks like producing tin for decades to come.

Better still, it is now looking to treat tailings and other products. Metals X is going to produce substantial revenue from that mine. And if tin prices were to move up 10 or 20% – as could easily happen when the largest tin mine Peru shuts down in 2017, and if the Chinese and Indonesians continue to slow production, then Renison will again be a bonanza because it is a low-cost producer.

My greatest fear with Metals X is that the CEO Peter Cook is something of mining entrepreneur. Earlier this year he bought into a gold mine in Western Australia. By the look of it he has bought the mine incredibly cheaply and Metals X could make a lot of money.

But suddenly Metals X is now a gold and tin play, not just a tin play. And Cook also has acquired an enormous nickel reserve in central Australia, which he will leave dormant in the hope that sometime in the next decade or so nickel will return to favour and make it economic to develop a mine. Metals X is a company with no debt and about $50 million in the bank, even after the purchase of the gold mine. My fear is that as the cash starts to roll in from gold and tin, it will get spent in new adventures rather than be distributed to shareholders. I hope I am wrong. Certainly, in Metals X shares, you are purchasing a growing and profitable tin mine plus a gold mine. This is not a stock for widows and orphans, because it carries high risk.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MLX (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.