GTK 0.74% $9.33 gentrack group limited

My GTK cost base is NZD $3.73, as I started buying last week....

1. 1,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 160
    My GTK cost base is NZD $3.73, as I started buying last week. It's ~2% for me at this point, I don't plan on adding any more until something changes. The upcoming UK elections will likely move the stock - a conservative majority will be positively received (provides definite path on Brexit and no nationalization of big 6), hung parliament not good (no clarity on Brexit), and an unexpected Labour victory a disaster (nationalization of big 6 and relitigating Brexit).

Listen to the FY19 results call - management were clearly surprised by how quickly things in both the UK and Aus deteriorated after the retail energy price caps were introduced at the start of the year. Do some background reading on the matter and it becomes pretty clear that they weren't alone - the UK's own energy regulator, Ofgem, has admitted it's been a disaster that they didn't see coming, so my best guess is they'll soon make some adjustments to allow the retailers to earn more gross margin and stabilize. The entire UK energy retail market is losing money at the moment which is forcing the smaller players into bankruptcy and the bigger players are slashing investment and headcount, so the UK government will - I think - very soon have to make the politically difficult choice between either letting household power bills rise (so retailers can operate economically) or allow a situation where energy retailers keep going bankrupt, people lose jobs, and the industry rapidly consolidates and disinvests to offset the lower margin environment (which defeats the entire purpose of deregulation in the first place). The whole experiment is a wonderful example of why well-intentioned but ultimately clueless populist leaders should stay the hell out of things - complete lack of awareness of the consequences of their decisions.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GTK (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$9.33
Change
-0.070(0.74%)
Mkt cap ! $958.3M
Open High Low Value Volume
$9.40 $9.40 $9.22 $459.1K 49.36K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 309 $9.30

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$9.33 196 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 13.00pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
GTK (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.