Remember when Argentina sold off the oil company. Repsol, the...

1. 5,872 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 148
    Remember when Argentina sold off the oil company. Repsol, the big company from the mother country stepped up and paid them $1B. Once they had divested then the price controls introduced made it impossible to make a profit. Repsol being a multinational just focused their exploration in other countries. The Argentine parliament accused Repsol of trying to manipulate the price of oil and gas and voted to take the company back at no cost. The vote was 100% I am surprised anyone will do business with them. A Brazilian politician at the time said Argentina has an unlimited scope for financial mistakes.
    Most of the great beef they export is produced in Uruguay and Paraguay, but they do have great BBQ restaurants. The asado is the best.
    A company I worked for got caught bribing them for drilling contracts. The US based company I worked for was charged under the US FCPA legislation, had to divest our Argentina operations plus copped a BIG fine. But that was under US law. There was no problem in Argentina.
    Ever wondered why there are little or no blacks in Argentina. There is a very dark history there. Most of the South Americans don't like them very much.
    Today Buenos Aires is a great city. Like a European city in South America. A great place to visit.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.