I have read some twisted, racist and possibly xenophobic posts...

1. 1,228 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 226
    I have read some twisted, racist and possibly xenophobic posts here today but also some well informed as well. The distance between the two was quite stark.

The fundamental problem is Australia's education system is a victim of its success. You try to immigrate here with an overseas degree. Unless you are a leader in your field, it is very difficult to get a job unless you do more study. The standard is incredibly high here.

Some reality needs to be applied here. There are a hell of alot of Australians university students that study abroad as well. Who was the Aussie PM who is a Rhodes Scholar? How do you become a Rhodes Scholar? I also highly recommend aussie students should study abroad.

A lot of the international students study here from high school then progress to university. Home stay and student accommodation is a massive industry that the money flows straight into Australian economy. At $50 - $70 per day, 7 days a week and you don't have to declare it as income on your tax return, a lot of Aussie's families do this for extra money.

How many Australian's do you really think that are willing, or capable of, to move to another country, live with strangers, find new friends and networking at the age starting from 15 years old? Some come here at a younger age but it is not easy. They also have pressure from their families to have good grades and attend top university. Trust me, it isn't a holiday.

BTW, there is also a quota system of regional indigenous people that have to attend private high schools and universities and they have to stay in the dorms.

Australia's education system contributes to the very essence of culture and society of Australia. International students play an important intregal part of having a multicultural society.

xxxooo

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.