I ditched Telstra years ago, my phone and internet was costing...

1. 60,893 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    I ditched Telstra years ago, my phone and internet was costing over $200 per month.Telstra have always dominated in the mobile coverage area and probably how they justify higher charges, in some places they are the only network. But Optus are not far behind as far as coverage goes

I got a bundle deal with IInet who were my ISP that cost about $100 with a new phone and came down to $85 when the phone was paid off.

Had been with Ozemail/iinet for over 20 years, could not fault their customer service and mobile service was using the Optus network which is not quite as good coverage as Optus but still pretty good. Was a bit concerned when TPG brought them out but was all good, at one the offered a cheaper mobile service option but I realised it was using the Vodafone network which they had acquired and I declined.

I was switched to the wireless broadband which was faster than the basic NBN plan and worked quite well. Eventually they forced me onto the vodafone mobile network and it started to go pear shape, I started to have problem with phone reception, at home I could hear the person on the other end but people were forever complaining that I was breaking up badly. I though it might be my phone and tried all sorts and nearly went out to by a new phone but I was also having problems with my wireless broadband and I came to the conclusion that must be an issue with the network in my area.

After multiple calls to iinet I became frustrated, I tried to explain that there must be a fault with the network tower because the bad mobile reception was the same reason my wireless broadband was having issue. Bloody customer service seem to think there were separate networks for the mobile phone and wireless broadband, it's the same bloody network.

Found that Optus also offered a wireless broad which was twice as fast as a basic NBN plan so signed up for that and mobile service, it's costing me about $20 more ($108 pm for both) but a lot more reliable and much better coverage, vodafone coverage outside the metro is just about non existent

Unlike Testra you can actually speak to some one at Optus without to much trouble

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.