internet shoppers feared by street retailers

1. 3,728 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    There appears to be 2 markets out there; one for internet savvy shoppers and one for the uneducated bricks and mortar mugs. Well that's the message that's out there.

I looked up a local guitar retailer, as I needed to replace my guitar strings (been a while). A set of 6 quality US made strings were $10.99 according to the shop's website (I know you know where this is going). So I walked into 'that' store and asked for the same strings and then asked how much they were. Answer was $14.99 (he looked a little unsure when telling me the price in case I new the online price).

Had it been large retailer like H/N I would of said something, but this is a sole retailer that's probably being screwed by the local council for rates, etc. So without question I bought those strings and a few other small things as well to help make everyone's day. So even though I gave him my business, I won't be back!

Since then I've needed another set of strings, so I went on ebay. Same strings delivered for 9.99 - great bought them and they were posted from Sydney to Melbourne in two days with a regular envelope and stamp. But the string packet had the retailer's shop sticker on it - its price? $14.99!

Are street shoppers the last great white hope for our retailers? Are they the key to prevent our 2 speed economy from breaking apart because retail is a prime industry for NSW and Victoria, with just about every second working woman being connected in some way.

In this world of globalisation, the first victims in this nations were the factory workers while the retailers were able to lift their profits to the stratosphere with cheap imported goods. They initially failed to pass on the savings in the name of profits, but then began to undercut themselves in a very small way. The internet revolution has rudely busted wide the whole affair and, for once, the consumer is the winner and the retailer is the loser.

My only concern here is are our retail dependant states going to go down in the name of spend thrift?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.