Introducing The Victorian Greens Party Member Anab Mohamud

1. 5,485 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    mmm Well Well this is interesting biggrin.png

I seem to remember this Woman as a regular on " The Project " & Their ABC's Q & A, but not a mention of this has appeared on the ABC

HOW CONVENIENT rolleyes.png

Greens Councillor faces assault charges

A Yarra City councillor and member of the Australian Greens, who was involved in a violent altercation outside a gay club in South Yarra last month, is facing a range of serious assault and theft charges arising from a separate incident in December last year.

Cr Anab Mohamud has been charged with assault, intentionally causing injury, recklessly causing injury, assault with an instrument and assault in company over the alleged attack in Dandenong.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/3228/3228593-7c21fb6fe8856136593cfd222444587f.jpg

Cr Mohamud, who has a “strong connection to Greens values” according to her profile on the Australian Greens website, is also facing several counts of theft and criminal damage.

Another woman from Fitzroy has been charged over the alleged attack on two men on December 6 last year. She and Cr Mohamud are due to face Dandenong Magistrates Court on August 24.

Cr Mohamud did not respond to repeated requests for comment, while the Victorian Greens released a statement on Monday evening.

“The incident in question is still under police investigation. We understand that the charges against Cr Mohamud relate to an act in which she was victimised, and alleged actions when she was attempting to flee from an attacker. She is working with legal counsel to have the charges dropped,” according to a joint statement by Greens co-convenors Effy Elden and Nyssa Sims.

A Yarra City Council spokeswoman said the council was unaware of the charges and could not comment while the matter was before court.

Last month, The Age revealed that Cr Mohamud had sustained serious facial injuries from an assault outside Chasers nightclub, which hosts the popular LGBTQ dance party Poof Doof.

Several sworn statements provided by witnesses to police investigators accuse Cr Mohamud of instigating the altercation with another woman, before allegedly exclaiming “Allahu Akbar” and vowing to “make sure all these faggots die”.

A security guard said in a statement that he called an ambulance and attempted to administer first aid to Cr Mohamud immediately after the assault in Bray Street.

“[Cr Mohamud] told me numerous times to ‘bring that bitch back, I’ll f--- her up’. She has also yelled out various things, such as ‘f--- the LG family’ and also said something in what I believe was in Arabic and not understandable, followed by words along the line of, ‘I swear to Allah if I lose my eye I will make sure all these faggots die’,” the guard alleges in a statement to police.

Video footage obtained by The Age shows Cr Mohamud and a man walking down Bray Street about 3.40am, when she stops outside a caged smoking area to the rear of Chasers nightclub.

Another witness, who works as a manager at Poof Doof, told police Cr Mohamud reached through the bars of the smoking area and grabbed a “trans woman” by the hair.

The manager, who asked not to be identified, said he helped to separate the pair, before the patron opened an emergency door and pursued Cr Mohamud along Bray Street.

The manager alleges in his statement that Cr Mohamud was yelling “Allahu Akbar” – the Muslim declaration that God is great – after the incident.

Police have received at least three other statements from Chasers staff that accuse Cr Mohamud of starting the incident and launching a homophobic tirade after she was assaulted.

On May 20, the Australian Greens Victoria released a statement that defended Cr Mohamud and claimed police had been provided with “contradictory witness statements”.

“Our understanding is that the version of events reported in the media has been contradicted by subsequent police witness statements,” the statement said.

“The Victorian Greens would like to emphasise that we do not condone violence or abuse in any form and condemn this vicious assault on a woman of colour.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/greens-councillor-bashed-near-gay-club-faces-separate-assault-charges-20210531-p57wrz.html

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.