East Arnhem region could become a forward operating base for...

1. 4,536 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 159
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4022/4022455-010e904e2c04b9f0bda826579b6eef88.jpg
    East Arnhem region could become a forward operating base for Australia and its partners

The Northern Territory’s geostrategic importance has never been clearer as longstanding tensions in the Indo-Pacific are exacerbated by the dislocating effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The United States has foreshadowed an increased military presence in Darwin, with major planned spending and infrastructure development expected. While Darwin is an ideal location for a forward operating base for Australia and its allies and partners like the US, Japan and others, there’s potential for a larger presence across the Top End in more regional and remote locations.

East Arnhem Land is a pristine natural environment with a rich and extensive history of Aboriginal cultures (Yolngu groups), a significant town (Nhulunbuy—the largest in the region) and a range of communities and homelands. It is also home to the NT’s second deepest naturally occurring port, in the Gulf of Carpentaria approximately 14 kilometers from Nhulunbuy.

Following the Australian government’s enactment of the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976, the East Arnhem region, which includes the land on which the Gove mine and township sit, was granted to the traditional owners as freehold Aboriginal land. The mining leases are due to expire in 2053, but may be terminated earlier, after which the leases for the mine and township, currently held by the Northern Land Council, will be given over to the Arnhem Land Aboriginal Land Trust. Once that happens, the traditional owners of the Gove Peninsula will be the primary decision-makers for the entire peninsula.

The North Australian Bauxite and Alumina Company (which became Alcan in 2003) originally operated the bauxite mine near Nhulunbuy and expanded its operations there to include an alumina refinery. Alcan was purchased by Rio Tinto, which took control of Nhulunbuy mining operations in 2007. Rio Tinto also provides most of Nhulunbuy’s essential services and is a major financial backer of the school, hospital, power plant (which supplies the refinery and town), and air services.

While mining still occurs on the Gove Peninsula and is expected to continue at the Rio Tinto mine until around 2030, activity at the refinery was curtailed in 2014, resulting in a loss of more than 1,000 jobs and a significant reduction in Nhulunbuy’s population. Following that decision, Indigenous organizations (including Gumatj Corporation, the Rirratjingu Aboriginal Corporation and the Northern Land Council), Rio Tinto, and the NT and Australian governments committed to working towards a positive post-mining future for Nhulunbuy and the Gove Peninsula for Yolngu landowners, local communities, businesses, and industry.

https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/east-arnhem-region-could-become-a-forward-operating-base-for-australia-and-its-partn

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.