BJT babcock & brown japan property trust

vibemaster,Everything I post is merely my understanding. I am...

1. 3,760 Posts.
    vibemaster,

Everything I post is merely my understanding. I am not an accountant and in fact I have sent my accountant yesterday afternoon detailed information regarding that Judgement and BJT's past announcements for him to advise me on what the bottom line is and what it means for me. Please seek professional advice if you need to.

That said, I believe your first two points are correct. The only point of contention I see is whether it is 30-06-2009 tax year or 30-06-2010 tax year.

Obviously we know the CGT event was in the 30-06-2009 tax year but I am not sure if it is taxed in the year it is actually received as with dividends. Again I think it hinges around this darn confusing concept of present entitlement.

By way of example I own ANZ shares. They announced their dividend then subsequently went Ex-Dividend on 7th of July 2009 (ie 30-06-2009 tax year). However as with last year I did not and do not get my dividend in my account until 1st of July 2009 (ie 30-06-2010 tax year). I don't pay tax on this dividend until I do my 30-06-2010 tax return even though the dividend was declared and I was "entitled" to it on 7th May 2009.

Your last point is a VERY GOOD ONE (thumbs up) that I had not thought about. And of course I do not know the answer.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BJT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.