I was wondering where jopo got this from, because he has often...

1. 10,503 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 198
    I was wondering where jopo got this from, because he has often posted recent stuff straight from some denial blog. So I had a quick look around. But, in doing so, I found this interesting and recent paper.
    https://www.pnas.org/content/116/39/19330

It differs from the point that jopo was misunderstanding, at least as he's communicated it, but there is an element of 'flat earth' model approximations in at least some of the models. According to the paper it introduces a consistent warm bias - not warming over time (that is to say, pre-industrial through to recent time model results are all consistently affected). And it has some other impacts, including some model results for aerosols and for stratospheric and polar areas. All as described in the paper. Maybe an interesting read. The science and models are not exact replicas of the planet, particularly when constrained by the practical limits of computing capacity/speed. But the paper gives some insight into the sort of detail where we can anticipate models are making approximations, and the sort of effects of that. And it's an insight into the level of detail the science goes to, to understand the modelling approximations and to improve models where that's of value to our understanding.

Last edited by mjp2: 25/02/20

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.