SCT 0.00% 0.7¢ scout security limited

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Scout may not have...

1. 989 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 387
    I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Scout may not have a camera of their own, but they integrate with Nest. Which seems perfectly fine to me. Having a scout branded camera would open up a whole can of worms because people want online access to recordings, not a simple live view. Scout would have to build a lot of backend support for such a thing, which for a startup would not be worth it. Nest is the most popular home security camera and integrating with them is an easy and convenient solution for scout as well as the consumer.

As far as another monster company creating a home security product of their own, yeah sure that could happen but I could argue that could happen with any consumer device you name. As for Amazon specifically, they don't make this type of product. They make batteries and Alexa. What Amazon wants is for other companies to make hardware that integrates with Alexa. They can advertise it as "works with Alexa" and move some more units off the shelf. They take their commission and they are happy.

Also, don't think of Scout as a hardware company. There's very little profit in the units themselves. The real money is from the recurring monthly monitoring plans which has a very nice profit margin. I don't see Amazon or google getting into the emergency response dispatch business.

But in any case, there's going to be competition, but the home security market is very large. Scout may not be the biggest in the market currently but they have advantages over the other choices. After a little research, I believe they have a better product, and with this ASX raise will have the ability to build up their supply and greatly increase their marketing efforts. Simplisafe got a $57 million investment in 2014 and they seem to spend it all on marketing. I see their ads everywhere (Facebook, magazines, Streaming) but I can't find anything that says they put any money into updating their hardware, which I find kinda ugly. (I did see some articles that says a hacker found vulnerabilities). So, what I'm getting at is I see a great opportunity in the DIY market for Scout. A better looking, more user friendly, recently updated product. And they are about to get a large amount of cash. They will be able to hit the ground running and I believe that a positive return on an investment will happen sooner than may other ASX startups.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SCT (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.