CLE 0.00% 0.1¢ cyclone metals limited

ipo when, page-5

1. 143 Posts.
    I can see where Al1 is coming from but it wouldn't apply here. To explain:
    From a financial perspective, a company (or individual) will generally try to reduce its taxable income to pay less tax in the current year (deferring tax to another year) as it effectively equates to more money for the company. As the financial year draws to a close it becomes more relevant as a difference of mere days affects the outcome.

Lets say some kind of sale is made on 30/6 creating income of $100m. $30m (30% company tax) will have to be paid on x day.

Delaying that by 1 day will cause it to fall into the next finc year. That same $30m for tax will have to be paid on x day + "roughly 1 year". That $30m could be put in a bank for say 5% interest amounting to $1.5m over that "roughly 1 year". Accounting for inflation and the tax on the $1.5m effectively makes that figure less but it is still more than the $0 ($30m being paid to tax instead of sitting in the bank) from the previous scenario of the sale being made on 30/6.

Why I don't believe it would apply:
    1.>Public companies are pressured (by sharesholders) to perform. This is generally on a year to year basis and not on a longer term basis (say 3 years from now). As such, figures are generally pushed through so that the last 12months was seen as highly successful. In CFE's case that is something like 500m (random large figure) profit for Year end 30 June 2012, instead of what ever it will be without the sale ie: 100m (random smaller figure)

2.> Risking the "favourable market conditions" timing effectively postponing indefinitely doesn't seem wise for a possible tax break.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CLE (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.