AGO 0.00% 4.5¢ atlas iron limited

iron ore outlook has been raised.

1. 4,028 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 527
    Looks like the Iron Ore price will be higher this year and next than was forecast as is mentioned below in these two articles from the World Bank and Macro Business.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Iron Ore Outlook Raised by World Bank on Recovery, Oil on Supply
    By Rudy Ruitenberg - Oct 19, 2013 2:49 AM ET

Iron ore prices will be higher this year and in 2014 than forecast in July as global manufacturing improves and China’s metal imports rebound, while the outlook for oil was raised on supply disruptions, the World Bank said.
    Iron ore is expected to average $134 a dry metric ton this year and $135 a ton in 2014, up from a July prediction of $120 and $125, respectively, the report showed. The World Bank stuck to an outlook for iron ore prices to average $145 a ton in 2025.
    China’s economy expanded 7.8 percent in the third quarter, from 7.5 percent in the second quarter, and its iron-ore imports rose to a record 74.6 million tons in September on demand for steel, customs data show. The iron-ore market is the biggest seaborne commodity traded after oil.
    “Prospects for the metal market depend importantly on Chinese demand,” the World Bank wrote. “If robust supply trends continue and weaker-than-anticipated demand growth materializes, prices could follow a path considerably lower than the baseline presented in this outlook.”
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Macrobusiness today, another change in position

IO price increased by 0.50% to $134.40

Word of the day: breakout!

The reason I include 12 month swaps in this missive is they have a strong correlation with spot, usually leading. Yesterday it broke out spectacularly with spot also looking firm:

In technical terms we’ve quickly morphed from a bearish head and shoulders top to bullish and rather large inverted head and shoulders bottom. The neckline is not broken but it’s something to watch.

There are two ways to read this. First, the 12 month might be signalling a shift in the longer term pricing of iron ore. The recent strength despite rising supply might be convincing the market that futures prices are under done. The other rationale, the one I favour, is that the 12 month is signalling that the window for Chinese seasonal weakness is passed and the Q4 restock pulse is imminent. (As a quick aside Dalian iron ore futures debut today but I can’t see why that would be a factor).

In that event it really doesn’t matter that steel prices are weakening:

Futures were even weaker. But if the restock is on the who cares!

Chinese mill ore inventories are well above last year’s Q3 lows. From Mac Bank:

But they are also well below last year’s January highs. Steel inventories at mills are still seasonally high but there is nothing in the economic environment to suggest the demand matrix is about to change so I would expect the restock to still take place. The drivers of it are manifold:

Australian cyclone season; Chinese weather patterns for construction and holiday seasons etc. The November plenum might an issue but at this stage it seems unlikely to be of concern. Every year Q1 steel production leaps so next year will surely be the same.

With the supply deluge beginning, mills may elect to rebuild stocks less dramatically that last year but it’s fair bet it will still be decent and with the price already high, a decent price spike is not out of the question.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.