FMG 0.59% $21.73 fortescue ltd

Iron Ore Price, page-138

1. 616 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 81
    If the Chinese were to wipe out half the debt with an injection of funds though, that would come with massive dilution of shares. Current market cap = $6.2Bn, half the debt = $5.5Bn, so an injection of that magnitude would instantly almost double the shares on issue. The injection would most likely be done at a big discount as well. Any profits then would still have to pay out the remaining $5.5Bn in debt, but anything left over would be split amongst twice as many shareholders.

I agree that is a possibility, and it may end up being necessary for FMG to survive. But it would limit any potential upside for shareholders. Not wanting to ruin anyone's party, I've been there before, in a stock that keeps sliding. The economics of their debt burden and the supply glut for the next couple of years though makes this look like a slow train wreck to me. Of course I could be wrong. There have been times however where I've wished someone had pointed out the cold hard numbers to wake me up to a logical decision to sell. When I run the numbers on this stock it looks very bad, the terms of the re-financing suggest that they were just about to run out of cash. I await the annual report to see the true state of their finances.

All imo, dyor.
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$21.73
Change
-0.130(0.59%)
Mkt cap ! $67.30B
Open High Low Value Volume
$21.71 $21.77 $21.67 $8.313M 381.2K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
12 2529 $21.72

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$21.74 1821 9
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.10am 10/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.