FMG 1.10% $19.76 fortescue ltd

I have read a fair few posts here, including:(a) ta and...

1. 1,625 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 253
    I have read a fair few posts here, including:

(a) ta and purported ta;
    (b) valuation and purported valuation;
    (c) sentiment based views;
    (d) fundamental based views.

I post only because I think it is really important people are not captured by other, potentially inaccurate, views, and form their own view. Rather than get into a detailed analysis I make a few comments:

(a) ta can be useful. But for FMG ta which does not have regard to the IO price (eg on the DCE), the DJIA and DJIA futures and US / AU fx rate is inherently flawed. In any event, a useful stating point for ta is considering the timeframe. For example at what point does a poster think the share price will move to a support level under what circumstances;

(b) a range of valuation methods are chosen by companies, and also promoters, not necessarily or even mainly those suggested above. Experts often disagree with each other and also with the market. Prominent examples include initial IPO prices which turn out to be wrong and takeover prices which are modified substantially. I suspect I have seen or analysed over 250 valuations, over several decades. Not one has been able to be captured on a page and most have been based on stated assumptions, often wrong in some way.

(c) both sentiment and momentum trading have made a fair few winners over many years, as has pure fundamental based acquisition. It is a matter of choosing one's own style;

(d) the approach to a ta, valuation or investing style is often subject to inherent bias. People, firms and even units with treasury have their own views which colour how they analyse;

(e) it is rare for people to expend significant effort towards a venture, including I suspect here on HC, without motive, which in turn can colour the approach taken and views expressed. The old saying, put your money where your mouth is, whether short or long, still has a ring or truth.

My individual observation is that FMG currently, intraday, has a quite close correlation the iron ore price and DJIA futures (DCE real time).

Good luck to all.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.