FMG 1.62% $21.92 fortescue ltd

Firstly, we can look at 'ASX fair value PE multiples' all we...

1. 748 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 68
    Firstly, we can look at 'ASX fair value PE multiples' all we want - but the unfortunate reality with FMG is that it trades at a significant discount (30-50%) on a P/E basis to what others (i.e. banks etc) do. I think somewhere around 8-10 is a 'dream' scenario and around 6 is more normal (not arguing if that is right or wrong, just where it is for now!)

My rough (really rough) calculations on earnings then P/E for the first half were $2.5b US earnings, I'm going to call it $3.57b AUD (70c conversion rate). That's approximately $1.13 per share.

Lets say we double that (the dollar is better, IO price is better and they are shipping more ore - so doubling is VERY conservative IMO) - that gives us earnings of $2.26 per share, at a share price of $14.65 (what shade of green is it today Rurenga??) - P/E is a smidge under 6.5.

Someone smarter than me will work out forward looking estimates etc - but I'm happy with a P/E of 6.5 and yield (ex franking credits) of over 10% (can't see how they don't pay out at least 76c again for the 2H results - making it $1.52 for the full year).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.