FMG 4.01% $19.73 fortescue ltd

It's very clear that Vale has no intention of suspending...

1. 3,925 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 764
    It's very clear that Vale has no intention of suspending operations in it's Northern System

What we are seeing in nearby Parauapebas is a gamble on herd immunity. Why am I saying this?

200,000 citizens, 17,000 cases, 8.5% of the population has already been infected. That of course, is huge.

The result? 147 deaths, 68 people in hospital, and 8,405 still in home isolation (of course, in Melbourne, virtually everyone is.)

So, they are saying, essentially, why bother? More people will die, for sure, maybe we will go to 40,000 infected (20% of pop.) or more, but hey, we can keep mining. Mine workers might die too, but hey, we just hire someone new.

So the continued shipping of iron ore is worth more than lives. Great plan.

I wonder what moral is like at the mines in the Northern System, and where on earth is the MPT? (see article below)

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2323/2323544-8ef6bbe5cbcdd895208365bb20678f7b.jpg

The coronavirus continues to circulate in Parauapebas. Today, 24, we notified 295 new cases of covid-19. We celebrate the recovery of 8.419 people. Wash your hands often, wear a mask and stay home if you can. Together we can fight the disease.
    In cases of symptoms, before looking for a Health Unit, contact Disk Covid Parauapebas via Whatsapp (31) 98625-3239. Service 24 hours.

Brazil prosecutors expand probe into Vale's efforts to shield workers from COVID-19

11th June

SAO PAULO (Reuters) - The office that enforces labor laws in Brazil’s Para state has stepped up an investigation into potential shortcomings in mining giant Vale’s (VALE3.SA) efforts to protect workers from the coronavirus, authorities said on Wednesday.

The federal labor prosecutor’s office in Para has an internal working group in place known as the GEAF to monitor Vale’s iron ore operations in the Carajas region, near the eastern fringe of the Amazon rainforest.

The group was initially created to monitor the safety of mining waste dams in the region, after a pair of Vale-linked dams collapsed in recent years, killing hundreds.

In a statement on Wednesday, the federal labor prosecutor’s office, or MPT, said it was expanding GEAF’s remit to help gauge the measures Vale has put in place to contain the spread of COVID-19 among workers.

The isolated region around Carajas is responsible for over 7% of the world’s iron ore production, and it has become a major coronavirus hotspot, spooking traders who are sensitive to any possible supply disruptions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vale-coronavirus/brazil-prosecutors-expand-probe-into-vales-efforts-to-shield-workers-from-covid-19-idUSKBN23H3FX

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.