FMG 0.93% $22.41 fortescue ltd

I read a summary of the GS valuation note (and let me be clear I...

1. 748 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 68
    I read a summary of the GS valuation note (and let me be clear I disagree with it) - here are what I saw as the key reasons they gave:

1. FMG is trading at a relatively higher valuation compared to BHP and RIO when compared to net assets (FMG 1.4x net assets, RIO/BHP at 0.95x)

2. FMG is trading at a high (or higher than RIO/BHP) P/E ratio 'if' IO price falls to $80-90 range

3. Worries about widening discount of 58% ore

I would counter as follows:

1. Fair enough, although FMG are attempting to build their assets through diversification (FFI and exploration/JV's etc)

2. I'm sure this is true - but it is also trading at a relatively lower P/E valuation right now. Also, considering the atrocious forecasting of the IO price historically from the investment houses - what confidence can they/we have around the $80-90 figure quoted?

3. I'm not sure the evidence shows a huge widening just now - but even so, I would hope that any proper commentary would actually look at what a business is doing now (and in the future) rather than just the 'history'. FMG have started shipping ore for blending specifically to overcome the issue of higher-grades-mean-lower-discounts. Iron Bridge is also what - 18-months away?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.