FMG 0.78% $21.99 fortescue ltd

Trent2684 posted the perfect example as to why analysts opinions...

1. 10,231 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1408
    Trent2684 posted the perfect example as to why analysts opinions are nonsense today.

Analysts take a cyclical approach (which basically means they try to price in what the market already know) whereas if you want to be particularly successful you need to be counter-cyclical around the right time (or have a strategy that achieves the same).

Some of the key points to take from FMG analyst research is:
    • FMG's balance sheet is in good order.
    • They have a bit of a cash flow crunch ahead of them (after dividends) IF IO prices drop as "predicted" (but that expenditure is somewhat discretionary).
    • IF IO prices drop as "predicted" FMG may bit a bit over priced here (DCF, not 12 month target prices).
    • HOWEVER, analysts factor in no valuation for Fortescue Future Industries (could be a meaningful error there).

The rest is total crap, especially their ratings and 12 month target prices.

I often read analyst research, but I am oblivious to their opinion and target prices.

My personal take on their research is I accept FMG is a little risky from a valuation perspective, but I "bet" that their IO target prices are just too pessamistic (based on my experience of them never achieving the same historically).
    Last edited by convexity: 24/06/24

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$21.99
Change
0.170(0.78%)
Mkt cap ! $67.89B
Open High Low Value Volume
$22.18 $22.18 $21.85 $37.30M 1.690M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
6 1028 $21.98

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$21.99 12692 27
View Market Depth
Last trade - 11.40am 09/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.